Enrollment Services (Registrar)

Access the NEW Student Portal Here!


The Office of Enrollment Services provides academic support and information management to students, faculty, administrators, alumni and the general public, maintaining the privacy and integrity of all records.

Our services to you include Enrollment, Registration, Academic Catalog & Policies, Calendars, Classroom Reservations, Courses and Course Schedules, Grades & Academic Progress, Application to Graduate, Degree Conferral & Commencement, Permanent Records & Database Administration, Enrollment Verification, and Transcript Requests.

Please use the links below to access relevant information and forms.



Registration for Classes

Attendance at any Institute class is not permitted unless the person is registered for the class. For planning purposes, fall semester registration for returning students takes place in April of the preceding academic year and spring and summer semester registration for returning students takes place in November of each year. New student registration opens in June. Any student registering for courses outside of the published registration period are subject to a late registration fee.

Students must meet with their academic advisor prior to registering each semester and have the academic advisor sign the completed registration form. It is the option of each new student admitted to make an appointment with an academic advisor prior to registering. Students whose accounts are not current will not be permitted to register for classes. Students registering for a course-for-credit or audit must register no later than the last day of the published add/drop period each semester.

Course Changes

Students are permitted to add or drop courses without incurring an academic record of the course throughout the published registration period and during the published Add/Drop Period, with the approval of their academic advisor and Registrar. Course changes made after the published Add/Drop period will be recorded in the student’s academic record (as described in the following paragraph) and require the approval of the instructor, academic advisor, and Registrar’s Office. Course changes other than as described above, require the signature of the instructor, academic advisor, and Registrar’s Office. Classes meeting in an intensive format or on a shortened semester calendar (eg. summer session) follow adjusted add/drop and refund schedules. All registration changes are subject to the Registration Change Fee (Add/Drop Fee) and the Refund Policy stated on page 2 of the Add/Drop form, and also in the Academic Catalog.

A student who follows the published course change procedures may drop or withdraw from courses after the published Add/Drop Period and prior to the published “Last Day to Withdraw and Receive a “W” (generally the seventh week of classes in the academic semester) and receive a Final Grade of Withdrawal (W). After the published “Last Date to Withdraw and Receive a “W” each academic semester, a student who withdraws from a course will be assigned a Final Grade of either Withdrawal Passing (WP) or Withdrawal Failing (WF) by the instructor based upon actual work completed at the time of the withdrawal. A W or WP will not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average. A WF is treated as a failing grade for grade point average computation.

Download Add/Drop Form.

Independent Course Study

Under certain circumstances, students may request to complete a course independently.  Students should request approval from their instructor prior to registration by completing an Independent Study Approval Form from the Enrollment Services Office.

Change of Contact Information

Change of Contact Information

The Enrollment Services Office is here to maintain your academic records and assist you during and after your academic career at the Institute for the Psychological Sciences.  Please remember to let us know whenever your personal contact information changes so that we always have the most up-to-date contact information for you.  When your information has changed, fill out the appropriate form below or complete the Change of Contact Information Form and return to Enrollment Services.


Change of Contact Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Change of Name

Change of Name

Official name changes (permanent change of record) can only be made in person. The Registrar will certify the authenticity of the documents, make copies for the Permanent Academic Record, and return original documents. Notarized copies of necessary documents may be accepted if residing outside of the IPS region and unable to submit in person.

Without official documentation, students may request the ADDITION of a new name to their contact info by submitting this Form to the Registrar. PLEASE NOTE: the original name on record remains as the official name.

To request an official change of name, please complete the Change of Name Request Form.

Emergency Contact Information

Emergency Contact Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Transcript Request

Official and unofficial academic transcripts are issued by the Office of Enrollment Services to the student or directly to their designated third party. With a completed and signed Transcript Request Form students may request a hard copy of their academic transcript. Academic transcripts cannot be transmitted electronically. All academic transcripts are delivered in person or by the postal service.

Once your signed Transcript Request Form has been received, please allow 10 Business Days for the processing of transcripts. It is the responsibility of the requester to allow sufficient time to meet a deadline. If you have not allowed sufficient time to meet a deadline, every effort will be made to assist you with your rush request, however we are unable to guarantee delivery in less than 10 business days.

 To Request a Transcript:

To obtain a copy of your transcript, please fill out a Transcript Request Form.

Submit your Transcript Request Form to the Registrar’s office:

  • In Person
  • By Fax: Be sure to include a cover sheet clearly marked to the attention of Enrollment Services/Registrar as well as a signed Transcript Request Form. Fax documents to 703-416-8588.
  • By Email: Scan and email your signed Transcript Request Form to
  • By Mail: Mail your signed Transcript Request Form to:
    Enrollment Services Office
    2001 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Suite 511
    Arlington, VA  22202


Download the Transcript Request Form.


Enrollment Verification & Loan Deferrals


Loan Deferrals

  1. Submit your lender’s Deferral Form to Enrollment Services
  2. If your Lender does NOT have a Deferral Form, submit this Request Form to Enrollment Services 


Most lenders provide their own loan deferral forms, often downloadable from their websites. It is always most effective and efficient to use the Lender’s provided forms for Enrollment Verification. If a Lender does not provide such a form, please email a descriptive request to the Office of Enrollment Services and Registrar, so that a letter may be produced, containing

  • Student’s full name
  • Social Security number/student I.D.
  • Applicable information to be stated in the letter
  • Name and address (or fax number) where the letter should be sent


Students should fill out their portions of the deferral forms and submit it to the Office of Enrollment Services and Registrar on or after the first day of classes. The Office of Enrollment Services and Registrar will then mail or fax the completed form directly to the address or number listed on the form. Each time a lender requires it, the process can be repeated throughout a student’s enrollment at The Institute for the Psychological Sciences. Please allow 3-5 business days from the date of receipt of the request for processing of letters/forms.

Enrollment & Degree Verification 

  1. Submit this Request Form to Enrollment Services
  2. If your requestor has a preset form, please include that with your form


A student’s Enrollment Date is the first day of classes in a given semester. Official Enrollment Verification can only be certified as of the first day of classes in a given semester, although a student may be registered for classes prior to that date. Only actual enrollment can be certified. Estimates for completion of a program may be included upon request.

Written requests for general enrollment verification may be submitted in person, by email, or mail to the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar, so that a letter may be produced. Requests should contain:

  • Student’s full name
  • Social Security number/student I.D.
  • Applicable information to be stated in the letter
  • Name and address (or fax number) where the letter should be sent


Please allow 3-5 business days from the date of receipt of the request for processing of letters/forms.


Transfer of Credit


Criteria for Transfer of Credit

Graduate credits are transferable from regionally accredited institutions. Courses considered for transfer must have been completed within a period of six years prior to acceptance into the Institute’s programs. Exceptions to this time limit may be granted for applicants who have been actively involved in the field in which the degree was earned on a continuous basis prior to admission. Extension, continuing education, or in-service courses that are not intended by the institution offering the courses as part of a degree program are not acceptable for transfer credit to the Institute. No graduate credit can be awarded for undergraduate-level courses.

Students admitted to the M.S. Program in Clinical Psychology or M.S. in Psychology Program may transfer a maximum of nine credit hours. Students admitted to the Psy.D. Program may petition for the transfer of a maximum of 18 credit hours. All transfer courses must have been earned at a graduate-level program in a regionally accredited college or university.

Transfer of graduate credits earned at other institutions is not automatic. Only graduate credit for courses determined to be equivalent to courses offered at the Institute can be transferred for course credit. In addition, only courses for which a grade of B (3.0) or better is obtained will be considered for transfer.

Applicants should note that given the unique mission of the Institute, certain courses completed at other academic institutions may differ significantly in content, although a similar title is given to the course at both institutions. Therefore, the following courses typically are not eligible for transfer from another institution:

PHT 502           Philosophical and Theological Anthropology
PHT 535           The Catholic Vision of Spiritual Maturity
PHT 614           Practical Reasoning and Moral Character
PHT 635           Theology of Marriage and Family
PSY 512           Law, Ethics, and Psychology
PSY 516           Basic Interviewing and Clinical Skills
PSY 609           Adult Psychotherapy
PSY 610           Child Psychotherapy
PSY 611           Marital Psychotherapy
PSY 724           Advanced Adult Psychotherapy
PSY 734           Advanced Child, Marriage, and Family
Therapy I
PSY 736           Child Psychopathology
PSY 836           Advanced Personality Assessment

Students wishing to apply for transfer of credit to the Institute must be enrolled in a degree program and must submit the appropriate transfer of credit form (see below or obtain from the Office of Enrollment Services) to the Program Director prior to the end of the second semester in which they are enrolled in their degree program. This request will be reviewed by the Department Chair who will notify the student of the decision regarding the request.

Download the Transfer Course Petition for New Students or for Current Students.


Enrollment Status Change


Enrollment Status

Students attending the Institute enroll in one of four categories:

  • Full-time Study: Full-time students must be admitted to the M.S. in Clinical Psychology, M.S. in Psychology, or Psy.D. Degree program. A student in either M.S. degree program is considered full-time if a minimum of nine (9) credit hours of coursework is taken per semester. A Psy.D. degree program student is considered full-time if the student is: a.) enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours per semester; b.) enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours and is enrolled in a practicum/externship; c.) actively working on a dissertation (i.e., enrolled for dissertation credit hours); or d.) engaged in a pre-doctoral internship.
  • Part-time Study: Part-time students must be admitted to the M.S. in Clinical Psychology, M.S. in Psychology, or Psy.D. Degree program. A student in either M.S. degree program is considered part-time if enrolled for eight (8) or fewer credit hours per semester. A Psy.D. degree program student is considered part-time if enrolled for coursework or a/an practicum/externship at the Institute, but does not meet the criteria for full-time study.
  • Course-for-Credit or Audit:Any student enrolled in an IPS program may choose to audit a course during registration for a semester, with the approval of their academic advisor and subject to the enrollment limitations listed below. Audit tuition is approximately one-half of the current regular tuition.Any non-degree seeking person, holding an appropriate baccalaureate degree, may apply to take a limited selection of master’s-level courses on a course-for-credit or audit basis. Non-degree seeking individuals wishing to apply to register on a course-for-credit or audit basis must submit a completed application, official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcript(s), and the required application fee ($35). Personal statements, GRE scores, letters of recommendation and interviews are not required. The application is reviewed and approved by the Department Chair and registration will be subject to the enrollment limitations that follow. Only the following courses are eligible to be taken by non-degree students (unless special permission is received from the Department Chair and Academic Dean): PHT 502, PHT 535, PHT 614, PHT 635, PSY 500, PSY 503, PSY 504, PSY 605. Students receiving permission to register course-for-credit or audit are not admitted nor guaranteed admission to a program. Enrollment is subject to limitations of class size, with priority given to degree candidates and students enrolled for credit, any special requirements for auditing a particular class, the exclusion of auditors or non-degree students from a particular class or a given type of class, and prerequisites. 


Change in Enrollment Status

There are three types of changes in a student’s enrollment status:

1) Full-time to Part-time
2) Leave of Absence
3) Withdrawal

Full-time to Part-time

If a reduced course load changes a student’s enrollment status from full-time to part-time, it is the student’s responsibility to recognize the possible consequences (i.e. potential reduction of financial aid awards, SEVIS status, degree completion time, etc.) and take necessary action with the corresponding office (Financial Aid , International Student Coordinator, Registrar, etc.). Students who withdraw from the Institute using the Institute’s withdrawal procedure or reduce the number of credit hours using the Institute’s course changes procedure during the fall or spring semester are allowed a return of tuition and refundable fees according to the official schedule.

 Leave of Absence

Should a student enrolled in a degree program of the Institute find it necessary to interrupt active pursuit of their degree, he or she should discuss the need for a leave of absence with their academic advisor and must petition the Dean in writing. Generally, a leave of absence is granted for good cause, and for a minimum of one academic semester, and limited to one academic year. Requests will be considered prior to the beginning of an academic semester. For any request made during the academic semester, the grade assigned will follow the Institute’s withdrawal policy.

The right to make use of the Institute’s facilities is suspended while the leave of absence is in effect. The student who discontinues active enrollment in courses without being granted a leave of absence, or a student granted a leave of absence who does not return to active enrollment in courses at the close of the approved period of time will be considered withdrawn, must apply for re-admission to the degree program, subject to the regulations and requirements then in force. In such cases, acceptance into the program is not guaranteed, and any courses taken prior to the interruption of enrollment may not count toward graduation if they were not completed within the time allowed for degree completion.

While Institute policy may allow students a leave of absence of up to one calendar year, students who take advantage of this policy may be required to begin repayment of Title IV federal loans. Students who are participating in Title IV federal financial aid programs may be granted a leave of absence of up to 180 days in a calendar year without entering repayment. Therefore, students receiving federal financial aid are required to receive counseling from the Financial Aid Office prior to being granted a leave of absence.

For the Clinical Psychology programs: download the Leave of Absence Form.

For the MS Psychology (online) program: download the Leave of Absence Form.

 Withdrawal from the Institute

A withdrawal from the Institute is defined as dropping all registered courses or failure to enroll each semester prior to completing all requirements for graduation.

To withdraw from the Institute at any time other than the close of the semester, students are required to consult their academic advisor and the Financial Aid Officer, complete the Institute’s withdrawal procedure, and obtain written notification of withdrawal to be considered withdrawn. Discontinuation of class attendance or notification to an instructor of withdrawal does not constitute an official withdrawal from the Institute.

Any student who withdraws from the Institute will be assigned a Withdrawal (W), Withdrawal Passing (WP), or Withdrawal Failing (WF) as stated in the Institute’s Course Change policy. Refunds will be made in accordance with the Institute’s Refund policy.

A student who withdraws from the Institute and wishes to continue course work at the Institute must reapply for admission following all applicable procedures required and pay the appropriate re-application fees. In instances where the Institute’s Withdrawal procedure is not completed, students will be responsible for the full payment of their accounts.

For the Clinical Psychology Programs: Download the Withdrawal Enrollment Change Form.

For the MS Psychology (online) Program: Download the Withdrawal Enrollment Change Form.




Course Grades

To ensure that grades are awarded with justice and on a uniform basis, all members of the faculty are required to make clear to their students at the beginning of each course the principles which they will employ in determining final grades. A clear statement of grading principles offered by the instructor is the student’s strict right and the instructor’s serious duty. The Institute allows instructors to define numerically what each grade requires as well as assign finer distinctions such as A-, B+, etc. However, any course in which a student receives a grade below C must be re-taken. On official transcripts, grade points will be reflected as follows:

Grade                     Grade Points
A                                             4.0
A-                                            3.7
B+                                           3.3
B                                             3.0
B-                                            2.7
C+                                           2.3
C                                             2.0
C-                                            1.7
D                                             1.0
F                                             0.0
NC (No Credit Earned)         None
INC (Incomplete)                  None
IP (In Process)                      None
W (Withdrawal)                   None
WP (Withdrawal Passing)   None
WF (Withdrawal Failing)    None

Incomplete Course Agreement

A student may petition an instructor to be assigned an “incomplete” as a grade when one or more course requirements have not been completed by the end of the course, due to extraordinary circumstances. The awarding of an “incomplete” is at the discretion of the instructor. To be awarded an “incomplete,” the student and instructor must complete and sign the Incomplete Course Agreement Form and the instructor must deliver it to the Registrar at the time that grades are due. The instructor is responsible for notifying the Registrar/Enrollment Services Manager of the final grade assigned upon completion of all course requirements.

 When a student has been assigned an Incomplete the student must complete all outstanding course requirements within three months following the end of the semester of registration for the course. Failure to complete all course requirements will result in the instructor awarding a grade based upon work completed. Students who receive financial aid and who carry a grade of Incomplete into a subsequent semester risk loss of financial aid for that semester. Carrying an Incomplete course grade reduces the student’s overall grade point average and lowers his/her credit hours attempted-to-completed ratio – either or both of which factors can create a failure to meet the financial aid requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Download the Incomplete Course Agreement Form. For MSP students, download the MSP Incomplete Agreement Form.




Upcoming Dates

August 8, 2014            Degree Conferral*

December 19, 2014      Degree Conferral*

May 21, 2015              Commencement and Degree Conferral

August 7, 2015            Degree Conferral*

December 18, 2015      Degree Conferral*

 *The Institute for the Psychological Sciences holds three degree conferral dates throughout the year, but only one Commencement ceremony in May. Students whose degrees are conferred in August or December are encouraged to participate in the following annual May Commencement.

 Graduation Requirements

In order to qualify for graduation, all coursework and curriculum requirements must be completed and all degree requirements met within the degree time-limit and by the official graduation date. It is the responsibility of each student to successfully fulfill all of their degree requirements, as detailed in each respective program section of the catalog published at the time of their enrollment in the degree which they seek.

In addition to the academic requirements, it is necessary for students to be cleared of all library obligations and to present a satisfactory clearance of financial accounts prior to graduation. Students who have not made satisfactory financial arrangements will not have access to any student services, including transcripts, diploma verifications, transfer credits, or enrollment in courses or for another program.

The Institute confers degrees upon the recommendation of the faculty and by the authority of the Board of Directors, three times a year: August, December, and May. Students whose degrees are conferred in August or December are encouraged to participate in the following annual May Commencement. Degree conferral and Commencement dates are posted in the Academic Calendar. The Graduation Fee covers all aspects of the degree completion process and will be applied to all student accounts of degree candidates, regardless of participation in the Commencement ceremony.

Students who are eligible for graduation (degree candidates) must submit an Application to Graduate form to the Registrar at the time of registration for their final semester to obtain a final degree audit and receive the approval of their respective program director. Materials related to the Commencement exercises, including orders of invitations and regalia will be distributed approximately 90 days prior to the degree conferral date.

Participation in the Commencement ceremony is allowed only if all coursework and degree requirements have been completed prior to the event. However, because of the unique schedule of some internship and practicum/externship experiences, students who have completed all other degree requirements prior to the Commencement, except for outstanding internship or practicum/externship hours (which can be reasonably completed in the summer), may be eligible to walk at the Commencement with the approval of the Program Director and Registrar. This special participation does not signify degree conferral. Once all degree requirements have been completed with the successful conclusion of the internship or externship, degree conferral will occur in August.


VA Benefits Certifying Official


All degree programs offered at the Institute for the Psychological Sciences have been approved for Veterans Educational Benefits by the Virginia State Approving Agency for Veterans Education and Training.

IPS is also approved for the Yellow Ribbon G.I. Bill Education Enhancement Program, also known as the Yellow Ribbon Program, beginning with the academic year August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2014. For more information, click here.

Qualified Veterans who have established their eligibility for VA Benefits must provide a copy of their “Certificate of Eligibility” to the Registrar (IPS’ Certifying Official) upon receiving admission to IPS.

  • If you have previously received VA Educational Benefits and you are changing your place of training, in addition to submitting your “Certificate of Eligibility” please complete VAF 22-5495 (if you are receiving benefits under Chapter 35), or VAF 22-1995 (for all other Chapters). 
  • If you are applying for VA Educational Benefits for the first time, please fill out the VA Online Application at to receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once the certificate has been obtained, eligible veteran students admitted to a degree program at IPS must submit a copy to the Registrar’s office to initiate benefits.

Disability Support


In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) the Institute is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to any student who has a disability. Any student who has a documented disability must provide supporting documentation to the Enrollment Services Office at the beginning of the first semester. Once documentation is complete, the student should inform the instructor directly during the first week of class regarding accommodations made for particular class/classes.


Download the Disability Accommodation Request Form.


Voter Registration Information


The Virginia State Board of Elections provides guidance to college students and other first time voters who may have questions about how to register and where to vote in Virginia. The following information is specific to college students and explains residency requirements for voter registration and special absentee privileges for certain students. For more information, see other areas of the website addressing registration and absentee voting generally.

How do I register to vote in Virginia?

A college student registers to vote in Virginia the same as any other applicant: every prospective voter must submit a voter registration application. Remember, you must update your voter registration information whenever you change your residence.

Every voter in Virginia must submit their residential address when registering to vote. (A mailbox cannot serve as a residential address.) If you are unable to receive mail at your address, you must also submit a local mailing address. A dorm or college address can be an acceptable residential address and does not disqualify you from voting.

What is my residence?

A prospective voter must be a resident of the precinct where he seeks to register. In order to establish “residency,” a prospective voter must have a physical location where they intend to stay for an unlimited time.

The applicant must determine and declare their residence and may change their intent at any time. To assist applicants in determining their legal residence, the State Board of Elections has developed a self-guided questionnaire. The questionnaire contains questions intended to assist applicants as they determine where their legal residence is. The questionnaire is not required in order to register to vote. The applicant may wish to retain a copy of the questionnaire for their files.

How do I vote?

A college student votes in the same manner as any other registered voter: you may vote in person on election day or, if eligible, by absentee.

Students who will be absent from the locality where they are registered to vote because they attend school in another locality are eligible to vote absentee. For example, a student registered to vote in Charlottesville but attending school in Blacksburg may vote absentee in Charlottesville. However, a student registered to vote in Charlottesville and attending school in Charlottesville could not vote by absentee.

Impact on Other Areas

Legal residence for voter registration purposes may or may not be the same as legal residence for census, driver’s license, federal and state income tax, state vehicle tax, tuition, or financial aid purposes. The State Board of Elections and local election officials are not trained in these complex areas. You should consult appropriate advisors regarding these issues.

Virginia State Board of Elections

Virginia Voter Registration Application Form

Voter Residency Questionnaire




The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords post secondary students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the Institute for the Psychological Sciences receives a request for access.  A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect.  The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.  If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the Institute for the Psychological Sciences to amend a record, should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the Institute for the Psychological Sciences decides not to amend the record as requested, the Institute will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment.  Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the Institute discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without con­sent.  The Institute for the Psychological Sciences discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.  A school official is a person employed by the Institute in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law en­forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance com­mittee.  A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the Institute for the Psychological Sciences who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks.  A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the Institute for the Psychological Sciences.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the Institute for the Psychological Sciences to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC  20202

Student Directory Notification

The Institute for the Psychological Sciences will disseminate student information in accordance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), applicable State and Federal laws, and the Institute’s established procedures (Policy 2040, Adopted by the Board of Directors August 1, 2002).

The Institute produces a Student Directory each academic year for use by faculty, staff and students.  Student information used in the Institute for the Psychological Science’s Student Directory includes: Name, Local Address, Local Telephone Number, Work Telephone Number, Cellular Telephone Number

The Institute will not release this information to a third party without written consent of the student (except as required by FERPA, State, and Federal laws).

If the student does not authorize the release of the directory information to appear in the Institute’s Student Directory, the student should submit a written request to the Office of Student Life Services.

Disclosures that post secondary institutions may make without consent

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations.  Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure.  Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures.  A post secondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student –

  • To other school officials, including faculty, within the Institute for the Psychological Sciences whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests.  This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in §99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) – (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (§99.31(a)(1)
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34.  (§99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the Institute’s State-supported education programs.  Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs.  These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf.  (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.  (§99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to:  (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction.  (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.  ((§99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes.  (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.  (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36.  (§99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under §99.37.  (§99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39.  The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.  (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))

If you do not authorize the release of your directory information to appear in the Institute’s Directory, please complete the Request to Withold Student Directory Information Form and return it to the Office of Enrollment Services

Please use the links in the navigation menu to the right to view, download, and print relevant information and forms.

For further assistance, please contact:

Office of Enrollment Services and Registrar
2001 Jefferson Davis Highway, Suite 511
Arlington, VA 22202
Phone: (703) 416-1441 ext. 114
Fax: (703) 416-8588