The Institute for the Psychological Sciences (IPS) in Arlington, VA (www.ipsciences.edu) invites applications for the full-time position of Development Associate. IPS is a free-standing Catholic professional school offering Master’s and Doctoral degrees in psychology both onsite and online.
Reports to President of IPS
- Responsible for maintaining, cultivating and increasing giving levels for a portfolio of current IPS donors in the small to midsize range
- Collaborate with President and other staff to identify and qualify prospective donors using best practices for matching donor interest with institutional priorities.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of prospective donors which leads to securing new gifts, meeting or exceeding institutional performance metrics.
- Establish annual and long-term goals and objectives and performance metrics in consultation with the President based on the IPS’ strategic plan.
- Organize and propose initiatives (events, networking, prospecting, etc.) to increase exposure of IPS, maintain and strengthen current donor relationships, and identify new potential donors.
- Implement a strategically planned travel schedule to meet with prospects and donors individually and at industry and IPS-sponsored conferences aligned with strategies and outcomes.
- Monitor progress towards achieving revenue goals.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure successful solicitation of cash gifts from constituencies in support of the IPS’ initiatives.
- Document contacts and prospects ‘moves.’ Track progress using prospect tracking system.
- Draft, design and prepare proposals needed for the solicitation of prospective donors.
- Draft, design and prepare personalized materials needed for the recognition and stewardship of donors, including gift acknowledgment.
- Engage with major gift prospects face-to-face and in one-on-one settings and at IPS sponsored events.
- Develop collaborative relationships and communications across department lines.
- Integrate institutional core mission and priority initiatives within funding proposals.
- Respect the confidentiality and proprietary nature of all donor strategies and records.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university. Concentration on fund-raising, advancement, development, communications, business, finance or related field preferred.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of progressive experience within fund-raising or higher education with documented success matrix.
- Successful track record to date in previous corporate, foundation and organization fund-raising roles, producing superior results.
- N/A as a requirement.
- Appreciation for the unique role played by IPS.
- High energy and enthusiasm for team development and growth.
- Drive to achieve ambitious goals.
- Success-oriented and goal directed.
- Unquestioned integrity.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a strong commitment to serve.
- Preferred membership with a fund-raising or philanthropic organization, such as CASE, APRA, etc.
- Master’s degree or advanced professional degree preferred with a concentration on fund-raising, advancement, development, communication, business, finance or related field preferred.
- Must have outstanding strategic, tactical, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated strong facilitation and presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to have an approach to problem solving that is highly collegial and positive in outlook and approach.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to interpret and articulate vision.
- Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive Development information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Must have a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with e-Learning systems, fund-raising database systems and MS Office suite products, i.e. Word, Excel, Advanced skills in Power Point required.
- Highly organized.
- Ability to work under pressure to coordinate multiple requests and meet deadlines.
- Maintain a high degree of ethical conduct and personal integrity.
- Exhibit creative skills and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to travel due to business needs.
- Must be able to have the ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required due to business needs.
This is a full-time position at the Institute’s Arlington, Virginia headquarters. Compensation, including a competitive benefits package, is based on experience and performance and is a combination of salary and incentive. IPS is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter and resume to IPSHumanResources@ipsciences.edu.